Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Baked Casserole

Baked Casserole
(Church Social)

4 pounds fresh chicken breast
¼ cup milk
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt (less if using bacon fat for frying)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
½ cup fat (I like to use bacon fat)
½ pound mushrooms
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
2 cups hot cream or evaporated milk

Cut chicken into bite size pieces, dip into milk, then into mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Brown chicken in fat and place in deep baking dish. Cook mushrooms for 3 minutes in fat remaining in pan and add with onion to chicken. Cover with hot cream or hot evaporated milk. Cook in moderate oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) until chicken is tender and the cream cooks to a thick sauce, from 1 to 2 hours. Serves 8.

I generally use about 4 times the flour mixture, which works out to 1 cup flour, 2-3 teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. I also like to make sure the chicken is fully cooked with the frying because I usually prepare this dish up to the baking stage the day before.

With some liberties from Culinary Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook by Ruth Berolzheimer, 1988 paperback edition.





Linda St. John

No comments:

Post a Comment